Your search cannot be completed because of a service error
Error message when you perform a search query after you upgrade to the release version of Microsoft Windows SharePoint Services 3.0: “Your search cannot be completed because of a service error”
- Open an elevated command prompt by right-clicking on Command Prompt and choosing ‘Run as administrator’
- Navigate to the following folder:
- CD C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Web Server Extensions\12\BIN
- Type the following command:
- stsadm -o enumzoneurls
- The output will look like this:
<Collection Name=”Central Administration”>
<Collection Name=”SBS SharePoint”>
- From this output, you are looking for the URL in the <DEFAULT> tags under the “SBS SharePoint” collection. You will only use the host.domain name portion and not the protocol or port, so, “Remote.Contoso.com” is what you are looking for to be added to the registry.
- Click Start, click Run, type regedit, and then click OK.
- In Registry Editor, locate and then click the following registry key:
- Right-click MSV1_0, point to New, and then click Multi-String Value.
- Type BackConnectionHostNames, and then press ENTER.
- Right-click BackConnectionHostNames, and then click Modify.
- In the Value data box, type the URL mentioned in the above warning event, and then click OK.
- Quit Registry Editor, and then restart the IIS service.